Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Review of Pancakes at Cafe Luluc.

Type "brunch" and "Brooklyn" into any search engine and you're sure to see Cafe Luluc high on the list of suggestions.  After doing a little research, I found that this small cash only bistro, on Smith Street and Baltic in Cobble Hill, had some highly regarding pancakes, so I decided to check them out.

Three girlfriends and I arrived at Luluc today at around 1pm for Sunday brunch.  Although reviews on both yelp and menu pages warned of long weekend waits, it was only about thirty minutes before we were seated at a quaint booth in the back of the bistro.

Service was quick and the prices, while not inexpensive, were not extremely overpriced for Smith Street eating.  A la carte, one order of two large pancakes topped with fruit (bits of bananas and strawberries) came to $8.50 before tax and tip.

Upon my first bite of the golden goodness that was placed in front of me, I could confirm that these were some of the best pancakes I'd had in quite some time.  They were light and fluffy on the inside, yet surrounded by a crispy crust.  Lightly dusted with powered sugar and served with maple syrup on the side, each morsel was like eating sweet sugared candy bread.  I ate every bit of pancake on my plate and never offered to share the delicious treat I had discovered.  I'll definitely be back here for brunch soon.

(On a side note, at the risk of trashing my own review, I should note that one of my friends ordered some eggs she thought tasted "a little funky," and she soon after was not feeling well... However, I presume the pancakes, which two of us ordered, were made with eggs, and our other friend ordered an egg, spinach and goat cheese quiche, which she rated very highly... So please form your own judgments...)

2 comments: